History of Rangpur
Rangpur was one of the oldest Municipality in Bangladesh, which was established in the year 1869. "Rangpur" declared as a District headquarter as on 16 December, 1769. The municipal office building was erected in the year of 1892 under the precedence Raja Janaki Ballav Sen. Chairman of the municipality to whom Rangpur is indebted for many works of public utility and for his assiduous efforts to advance the improvement of the town. During that period in 1890, "Shyama sundari khal" was excavated for improvement of the town. The Municipality is located in the north western part of Bangladesh. Rangpur was an 'A-1' category Municipality. It's previous population was 3,20,000 [ 2,51,699 (2001 census)] covering an area of 50.66 sq km and the number of household is 55,184. It had 15 wards covering with population density is 6317 and average household size is 4.56. Recently Ward delimitation has almost completed. There are 33 wards (proposed) in newly declared City Corporation. The present Area with extension area is 203.19 Sq.Km and population is about 10 Lac. Rangpur Pourashava has turned into Rangpur City Corporation. According to Local Government (City Corporation) Law, 2009 Government has declared it as Rangpur City Corporation vide SRO No. 247-Law/2012 Date: 28-06-2012.